It mobilises latent resources of communities and neighbourhoods – from unused spaces to unemployed artists and elderly people who participate as volunteers – to offer quality solutions for childcare outside school hours that are very affordable for low-income or single parent families. In this way, it combines art education with academic support and social integration.
- 18 employees and 22 volunteers
- 300 participant children (2011)
- 8 centres (2013)
In 2013, the Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera launched the “Acompañamiento para el Éxito Educativo” programme inspired by this model, in order to redirect the use of its EspaiSocials (social spaces).
The programme is aimed at primary school children (6-12 years) and lower secondary students (12-16 years) who need educational support outside school hours. It also offers activities encouraging creativity and personal initiative, providing personalised supervision and involving families, at an affordable price.
In 2014, Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera received the recognition 'Impulsors de la innovació social' by Barcelona City Council.
2014-2015 academic year:
- 19 EspaiSocials in 13 municipalities of Catalonia implemented the programme
- 850 primary school children
- 327 secondary school students
- 43 teachers hired
- 169 volunteer educators
- 63 students gaining work experience in Teaching, Social Education, Educational Psychology, Vocational Training, Recreation.
Implementation in 3 more municipalities is foreseen in the 2015-2016 academic year.